There was an error in this gadget

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Days 55, 56, 57- April 12, 13, 14- Annecy- Lake in the Mountains

Annecy, France

Day 55
I HATE the French train system!!! So our train to Annecy had to get switched around a bit. We went to Paris for a couple of hours instead of going to Annecy. Then got a train from Paris to Annecy. The French strike is really pissing me off. Anyway we got to Annecy at 9:00 and went to bed after checking emails.

Day 56
One of the most Picturesque French Alps lakes, surrounded my snow peaked mountaintops, with old medieval towns dotted around its shores. This is Lac de Annecy. Ben and I stayed in a hotel in the biggest city on the lake, Annecy. Annecy is a VERY old looking town, very medieval. I woke up at 7:30, because I didn’t have dinner the night before, took a shower, and hit the town to find some grub. There was a food market going on in the streets that morning and while wandering through these ancient streets, with ancient buildings, and stands everywhere selling fruits, vegetables, and meats, it was hard not to feel like you have gone back in time. It really felt like I had stepped back to medieval times and I was walking through a market in an ancient French town. It was really cool. Besides the streets and buildings, Annecy is also cool because it has a river running through it and little canals sprouting off of that. In the main river is an old building that splits the water of the river. It is just a little island in the middle with the water flowing all around. It was really cool. So after a nice morning walk and a few pastries later, I am back to the hotel to see if Ben is up yet. He is and we hit the town again. We see the market again. An old castle, and some churches. We then make our way to the Lake, the true beauty of the area. It is so crystal clear it is unbelievable. It has a turquoise color that looks like it is a Caribbean bay, not a fresh water lake. Then with the mountains surrounding it all around, it is my type of heaven. Ben and I decide that we want to Bike around the lake. So after a tiring search for a bike rental shop, some lunch, then some more searching, we finally find one that is open. WE ARE OFF, down the lakeshore, up into the valleys, down again going through little towns. It was an amazing few hours circling the lake, with spectacular views of the mountains and of the lake. Great views of some old Ch√Ęteau’s and just a refreshing ride with the crisp air hitting your face. We also saw a lot of Para gliders going would the mountain peaks. I think this would be fun to do. At one of our stops around the lake, I decide I am going to jump in. I strip down to my undies and dive on in. It was FREEZING, but so worth it. It was so refreshing and such an amazing lake to be in. After that we ride back to Annecy, stop at a shop to get a drink, then get caught in a thunderstorm on the last few minutes of our trip. There were lighting strikes hitting the lake and thunder that would nock you over it seemed. We make it back a little wet, but ok. Then we went back to the hotel for a bit, got dinner, and went to bed.

Day 57

I got up early again, got food at the same bakery, and walked to the lake to have breakfast. It was a perfect place to eat, with the lake, the mountains, and white swans swimming around me. I decided to take some pictures only to realize that my camera had some condensation on the inside of the lens. WELL SHIT!!! It is supposed to be waterproof up to 33 feet and has been for the last 9 months, but I put it underwater for 5 seconds the day before and it suddenly has water in it. NOT GOOD!!! So I go back to the hotel and dry it out as much as I can and then lay it on the vent. I will get back to that. We were going to leave for Paris at 12:30, since we went to the train station the other day and they said that they couldn’t book the ticket, but come 30 minutes before and you will be fine. SOOO, being the punctual types we get there 45 minutes before. They tell us the 12:30 is booked Now we will have to wait until 4:30, go to Lyon, wait for two hours, then go to Paris and arrive at 10:00 at night, only 6 hours later then we were planning. AHHHHH!!!!!! I HATE THE FRENCH TRAIN SYSTEM!!! So we get the tickets, go back to the lake and relax. I try to figure out my camera again. The condensation is almost gone and it is working fine. So I try to figure out what happened. I put it in the water again and it takes on water again. SHIT!!! I realize it is not in the places I can open it up, it is somewhere in the main part of the camera. This time it doesn’t work at all though. Well great. Now I am a third of the way through my trip with no camera. I am going to have to buy another one in Paris. AWESOME. So I give up and Ben and I go back to the train station to catch the train. On our first train we sit with some younger French people, who were very excited to meet Americans. It is weird, the same thing happened in Biarritz with two German guys who were in our room. Both the Germans and the French took pictures with us so they could put it on Facebook. Anyway I opened my camera up and put it on the vent in the train. At the end of the ride I turned it on and it worked again. YYYAAAYYY!!!! I am on the second train to Paris. It still has moisture on the inside of the lens, but I am pretty sure it will be fine after it dries out. That makes me much happier, but the days of my camera being waterproof are no more. I need to see if I can get a new one, it has been less than a year. Anyway, I am on my way to Paris. I will let you know how it is. Until then.

1 comment:

  1. It is really easy to keep your camera out of the water-people have been doing it for decades! See if you can email the company and get a replacement! As I have said before-- I am so jealous-- you are having the experience of a lifetime. I am glad that you miss home but are able to climb back into the spirit of the times again! You are a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete