There was an error in this gadget

Monday, February 22, 2010

Day 5- SUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feb. 21

WOW what an AMAZING day. I woke up with the sun SHINING in my face. I LOVED IT. So I took a shower, made breakfast and hit the trains. Addison and I went to Stephans Platz where all of the museums and old churches are. We went into the Biggest church right in the square and it was mind blowing. I know I said this with the palace, but the time, care, knowledge, artistic ability, everything is just unbelievable. It truly is amazing that these were built so long ago. What are we building now? Nothing compared to what they built before they had machinery to do so. Why is that? It makes no sense to me, it is like we are going backwards almost. Everything is focused on technology and science now. What about true art, in what ever form it may be? Anyway I got some good pictures of that place, Then we went into another large church a little off the beaten path and went inside, and we were the only two in it. It was really a special moment. It was like stepping back in time. Think of what I have seen already, and to blown away by these when I go in them. Now think of when they were first built. People from the country side that had never seen more than a few huts, to come into the city and walk into that church. I can't imagine how overwhelming it was for them. It makes sense though. Make them look God like, to make common people believe. Anyway I just thought it was cool. We came back and ate lunch then decided to travel to the outskirts of town. We found our new favorite part of town. It is called Grisling. It is what I pictured a small Austrian town to be. It was beautiful. It had little restaurants everywhere, with beer gardens for the spring. There where wine taverns with large wine vineyards behind it. It was just perfect. I think we will be going there a lot. After we got back we met up with our "Buddy", Thomas. He had been in Paris since we got there, but he just got back. We met him at a little restaurant/brewery. He helped us find our classes, which I will get to in a minute, and told us a TON about traveling. He has been to almost every country in Europe. PERFECT match for us. He is going to take us to Salzburg this weekend to go skiing and to see his family farm. Which by the way you can stay at if you would like. Anyway I think we are driving in his car to his house, skiing for one day and going to salzburg for a while. He has so much information about traveling it is GREAT. I am really looking forward to spending more time with him. SO about classes, I am really excited and really nervous at the same time. Here is the deal I am going to be taking 8-10 classes. Sounds like a lot right? Well my longest class is only 2 weeks Monday through thursday for three hours each day. Some classes are a week. Some are just 2 days. It sounds amazing and Thomas said that we should not have any problem with classes. He is getting his masters here and has been here for 6 years. So he should know. I am still not convinced yet, because it sounds to good to be true. The way I am looking at my schedule some weeks I will have nothing, some weeks I will have a couple of classes that entire week. At the most I will have we will say eight classes for the entire week. Nothing on Friday. I am not sure how it all works, but everybody tells me it is REALLY easy. Another thing is that the Austrian government pays for your education. Austrians only have to pay 20 Euros plus 40-50 Euros for books. If I was to transfer to the school I would have to pay 300 Euros plus 40-50 for books. THAT IS CRAZY!!!!!! We spend thousands every semester and they pay nothing. Why can't our government do that? Why are we so stressed and unhappy with our lives? I really think we have what we are doing backwards. I am really considering coming here for a masters. FInancially it would not make sense to got to an American school. I have to check with people back in the states to see how it transfers, but if it does, then I don't know why not. Anyway we will see. I am really getting my eyes opened to a lot of things here. I can't wait to find out how everything really works here.

1 comment:

  1. Caleb Michalke! When did you become such an appreciator of the arts?!? Part of me isn't too surprised, while another HUGE part of me is! I feel like my boyfriend is slightly changing a little. Don't ask me why...you're becoming a very deep thinker. Honestly, I think you always have been, but until now, I've never heard everything in such bulk! :) I love it. I like you writing. You should keep it up. Those churches sound amazing...I would love to just roam the countryside and wander through old buildings, monasteries, and whatnot. Sounds incredible!
    I can't wait to hear about your weekend with Thomas. You're gonna have such as good time. Even though I don't ski very well, I'm completely jealous! :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete